Kayley Whalen Consulting is here to help you improve your online marketing strategy to reach new audiences passionate about your cause. Kayley founded the company in 2018 to help non-profit organizations and cause-driven businesses with email, web, and social media strategies that put social justice at the forefront.
Kayley has over eight years of communications leadership experience in communications for organizations advocating for disability justice, racial justice, LGBTQ issues, and reproductive justice. For four years Kayley served as the Digital Strategies and Social Media Manager at the National LGBTQ Task Force. In 2016 she served as the digital director for the launch of Trans United Fund, the first-ever transgender-led political organization dedicated to supporting pro-transgender candidates. Most recently she served as the Senior Email Strategist at Greenpeace.
Campaigns she has played a major leadership role in have included:
- #StopTransMurders: a national digital campaign in 2014 to bring attention to the murders of trans women of color
- “Meet My Child,” Trans United Fund’s Mother’s Day video campaign in 2016 to tell the stories of transgender children and the mothers who love them
- 2017 Equality March for Unity and Pride in Washington, DC
- Bisexual Visibility Day 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Greenpeace’s #BootPruitt campaign in June 2018 demanding Scott Pruitt resign as EPA Administrator
- #AutisticTransPride campaign in June 2016 in response to murder of autistic trans man Kayden Clarke
Trainings are available on digital strategy and transgender issues, which can be customized for your organization. Past trainings include:
- “Stop Telling Me To Make It Viral: Establishing A Compelling Digital Presence For Your Org Or Campaign”: presented at Netroots Nation 2018 and 2017, Creating Change Conference 2018 and 2017, and Trans Ohio 2016 (90 minutes or 3 hours)
- “Authentically Engaging With Trans* Leadership In Progressive Organizing”: presented at Netroots Nation 2017, Rootscamp 2017 and Creating Change Conference 2017 and 2018
- Transgender Policy Briefing for the White House Office of Public Engagement, Nov. 17, 2016.
Kayley has a B.A. in English literature and Gender & Sexuality Studies from Swarthmore College. She is currently on the Board of Directors of Trans United Fund and Secular Student Alliance.
Major brands Kayley Whalen has worked with on their online marketing strategy have included: Greenpeace, National LGBTQ Task Force, Trans United Fund, Secular Student Alliance, American Humanist Association, New Organizing Institute, Safe Access DC, and DC Rollergirls.