Roles: Digital Director and creator of #StopTransMurders campaign, a joint effort by National LGBTQ Task Force, Trans People of Color Collective, TransLatin@ Coalition, Sistas of the ‘T,’ Micah Bazant, and TransGriot.
Purpose: To bring attention to the epidemic of murders of trans women of color.
Strategy: Harness social media to create “media moments” whenever there was a trans murder to demand mainstream media report the news in a timely, accurate, and compassionate manner. Use increased visibility of trans murders to push other organizations and government entities to take action to protect trans women of color.
Success: Murders began receiving mainstream media attention after we reached millions of people on social media, including journalists and government officials. Other LGBTQ orgs including HRC began reporting on and devoting resources to violence against trans women of color.
- Launched campaign on September 29, 2014 by organizing a Twitter Chat with grassroots trans leaders.
- Coordinated nationwide day of action on November 19, one day before Transgender Day of Remembrance. Action in LA with TransLatin@ Coalition received major media coverage
- Led trainings with journalists including Spanish-language media on how to report on anti-trans violence
- Managed transgender graphic designers and artists who created compelling visuals including a campaign poster and campaign logo
- Organized panels and trainings at progressive conferences including Netroots Nation, Creating Change, Skepticon, and the Philadelphia Trans-Health Conference
- Educated federal officials on anti-trans violence with historic White House Trans Women of Color Briefing on 3/31/2015